Thursday, February 25, 2010

Going Mental

Few days ago, I had a chat with my friend Tash about surfing. She is a Durban chick... a pro surfer...a tiny little thing... 1,65m max... for maybe 50 kg.... She works at Surfing SA.
She was the first woman to coach Team SA (girls)!

I was asking her about tips and tricks to get stronger, better and faster in the water. She is not scared of charging 12 feet waves!!! So she knows...

And here is what she said: It is all MENTAL!
It is not about having a mega 6 pack and biceps as big as Mr T...
Fitness is part of it...of course....but as she said, it is all in the head!

And here is what i found today.
A little while ago, i received that old post (May 2008) post from that website "Yoga For Surfer":
http://yogaforsurfers.wordpress.com/about/

"There are those among us who may be new to surfing; those that have been riding waves for years; and those that fall somewhere in between ( that's me!). While we all share the thrill of the ride, some of us – newbie or not – may experience lingering trepidation over facing the power of the ocean, the larger-than-comfortable swells, the new break, the unfamiliar crowd. The trick is how to get past all that so you can truly enjoy each surf session and revel in your own special relationship with the ocean. "

"Surfing is so much like life: ups and downs. Some good rides, some not. Yoga helps learning to experience whatever is going on -- including frustration and disappointment -- from the standpoint of allowing it, of being open to the immediate situation and circumstances, and experiencing it fully. "


I have been practicing yoga since 10 years now. And I have to say that it helped me a lot to get my body and mind in shape. I am still working on the " try not to panic where there is a huge set coming towards you"... but it will come. Surfing is pretty new for me... still need to practice the Yoda attitude in the water!

I know that I will never become a pro surfer like Tash...I might never surf 12 feet waves...but doesn't matter... cause I surf for fun!

So let's go mental....